What do I do if I have a dry mouth and have problems collecting saliva sample?
If you are having difficulty collecting saliva, we have a few recommendations:
- Close your mouth and imagine eating your favorite food. Tilt your head forward and with your tongue, push the saliva down into the collection tube. Continue until the tube is filled at least three fourth with saliva (not the bubbles).
- Try to pool the saliva in your mouth before spitting in the tube to avoid bubbles. Tapping the tube on a hard surface can help remove the bubbles.
- Drinking extra water a night before sample collection helps produce more saliva.
- Smelling a lemon helps produce more saliva.
- If you still have difficulty collecting enough saliva, you can store the tube in a refrigerator and collect saliva at the same time next day.